Aloe vera is affectionately known as 'Kumari' in Ayurveda. The term kumari refers to a young girl.
This plant is a succulent and is often used as a houseplant. It has a soothing, cooling effect when used internally and externally.
Common Name: Aloe Vera English Names: Barbados Aloe, Curacao Aloe, Indian Aloe, Jafarabad Aloe Sanskrit Names: Kumari, Kanya, Ghrita-kumari, Vipulasrava, Sthuladala, Dirgha Patra, Mandala.
Ayurvedic Qualities of Aloe Vera
Rasa : Tikta (Bitter)
Gunas : Guru (Heavy), Snigdha (Unctuous), Picchila (Slimy)
Vipaka : Katu (Pungent)
Virya : Sheeta (Cold)
Effect on Doshas : Tridosha
Properties : Soothing, Cooling, Antiseptic, Antifungal, Astringent
Karma (Specific Actions) of Aloe Vera
1. Vranaropana (wound healing activity)
2. Rasayana (rejuvenative for the skin, intestines, female reproductive system)
3. Artavajanana (promotes menses)
4. Dipana (kindles the digestive fire)
5. Visphota (removes pustules)
6. Bhedaniya (Purgative)
7. Raktapitta (alleviates bleeding disorders)
8. Amapachana (clearing ama or toxins)
9. Vishahara (destroys poison)
10. Llihayakrdvrddhihara (reduces inflammations of spleen and liver)
11. Granthi (clears tumor)
Conditions treated in Ayurveda with Aloe Vera
1. Constipation, hemorrhoids, abdominal cramps and tumors
2. Asthma and chronic respiratory disorders
3. Useful in splenic disorders such as splenomegaly
4. Useful in hepatic conditions such as hepatitis, hepatomegaly etc.
5. Reduces Fever
6. Used in treating small tumors, and fibroids
7. Soothing to burns and skin abrasions such as boils, blisters, wounds
8. Vatahara - pacifying to Vata related illnesses such as neuralgia, paralysis, constipation, bloating, insomnia etc
9. Improves strength, vigor and immunity
10. Rasayana - anti-aging
Methods of Use
1. Apply directly on wounds, burns and other skin irritations
2. Massage onto dry skin, acne, wrinkles
3. Use Aloe vera gel as a mouth wash for sore, bruised gums
4. Apply the gel to the outer part of the eyelids to treat Conjunctivitis
5. Aloe juice (squeezed from the leaf pulp), mixed with ghee and honey can be eaten as necessary to relief asthmatic episodes and wheezing
6. Can be taken internally by women for improving fertility. (Please consult with an Ayurvedic Physician before taking Aloe vera internally)
7. Aloe vera pulp can be taken with a tsp. of raw honey and triphala to aide in weightloss. This concoction should be taken on empty stomach, followed by 1/2 glass of warm water.
Ayurvedic Medicines with Aloe Vera as a key ingredient
1. Kumarayasav (Fermented Preparation) - used in treating abdominal distention, bloating, asthma, respiratory disorders etc.
2. Raja Pravartini Vati (Herbal Tablet) - used to treat amenorrhea and scanty periods
3. Mukta Panchamrit Ras (Rasa Shastra Preparation - containing purified heavy metals) - Used to treat Emaciation or severe weightloss, Chronic Fever and persistent cough)